Saturday, October 8, 2016

Loneliness

LONELINESS                                                    Ag Herman   10/07/16
                                                                   My 71st Wedding Anniversary! 
     Loneliness is not a disease we can medicate, nor is it a garment we can shed.  It is a disconcerting fact of life that we can fix, if we try.  It is easy to say “woe is me” and lie down, give in and give up.  On the other hand, we can examine our loneliness, try to understand it and find out how to minimize it.
     Since my husband died almost eight years ago, I have experienced that lonely feeling in a way that does not compare to anything I have ever known.  It is not the childhood complaint, “I have nothing to do, no one to play with, I’m bored!” nor is it the young adult whining, “It’s Saturday night and I don’t have a date!”  I try to manage my days. There are numerous opportunities for my involvement, satisfying ways to keep busy.  Here at Seacrest Village, the program is varied, seductive and inviting.  But my nights are lonely.  Old movies and new ones do not entice me.  Memories of sharing our loveseat, holding hands and whispered critiques continue to erode my complacency.
     I am not looking for sympathy.  I am attempting to assure those of my readers who are experiencing loneliness, that you are not alone!  A recent poll indicates that one in four Americans have no one to confide in, they are lonely.  That is bad news!  Loneliness can lead to isolation; isolation opens the door to depression!  Lonely folks are frequently more vulnerable to illness and early death.  There are ways to beat the odds.  I find that having music in my apartment helps create a happy, pleasant ambiance, it is there when I return and keeps me company as I wade through my day.
     I find that there is therapy in a walk outdoors.  When I do, I sing to myself, argue with myself and forget the latest petty irritation on the phone or in the dining room.  Lengthy phone calls with old friends and/or family members provide great satisfaction, we do not talk of visiting as much as we discuss the day’s fun, the humorous experiences we enjoy and of course, the old days when we were kids together.  Reminiscing can be fun and therapeutic.
     Reading and writing are the primary weapons in my war with loneliness.  Everyone has a talent: singing, swimming or sketching; playing with the children or walking the dog, others garden, even on our small balconies one can glory in a garden’s growth. 
     Above all there is the stream of events that take place here at Seacrest Village.  Whether one participates and enjoys a Sabbath Service is a matter of taste or desire.  Shopping is fun for some; others prefer playing “Judge Judi” and still others gain from Torah study.  There is scrabble and yoga, knitting and computers.  I could continue but I believe that everyone reading my words has his or her favorite Seacrest activity.  Here at Seacrest loneliness is a choice, not a necessity.                              
Loneliness is my very own secret
that embraces me each night.
Catching me by surprise,
then chased by the morning sun.
Each night,
as the sun begins to set,
it’s there.
Before I tire and yawn
or think of my cozy bed.
                                                                              As if to keep me company
my loneliness arrives,
it has become a friend.
It returns with memories
for me to savor,
                                                                                            it touches

my heart where my beloveds rest!

6 comments:

  1. Thnks,Agnes Herman for your nice blog. http://ourhealth49.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. High stress, a main cause of several health issues can be easily alleviated by making use of ginseng milk. Some of the main health benefits of including ginseng in daily diet Best Testosterone Boosters include increased blood circulation, enhanced memory power and boosting energy production in cells. If you are in search of a natural remedy to alleviate troubles like low testosterone level, feel free to make use of ginseng in daily diet. For the best result, try to include ginseng twice or thrice per day in daily diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Effective weight loss - of course! Nowadays it's the main fasting benefit, and the key reason why most people get into it is fasting for weight loss. Best BCAA Supplements Actually, our bodies are designed to live long without food, as we did in the elder days. When we eat, our liver and muscles store energy as glycogen. In the fasting days, our body uses glycogen first for a couple of hours, then it starts burning off the fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weight loss pill must not have side effects. Usually manufacturers will tell you that their weight loss pill has side effects, but investigate a little deeper. Premium Pure Keto Ask online forums, do a search on search engines, ask people in the offline world, access to independent review websites etc. There should be a guarantee of reasonable refund. For example, a guaranteed return six months of money seems very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not going to take place overnight, the human body doesn't work like that. The main thing is that you relish your journey. Gradually boost the time spent exercising. Ketozin Obesity in men is increasing. Everyone wants a wonder pill that enables them to drop some weight instantly with no effort. The quantity of weight or fat you want to lose doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can include potatoes like red potatoes, russets, purple potatoes, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes to increase testosterone. It is also rich in nutrients. You can also consume zinc rich foods like banana, eggs, oysters, fish, Best Testosterone Boosters pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds. The levels of testosterone start declining gradually from the age of 30 years in men. It is produced in the testes of men. Lack of sleep, which is one of the low testosterone causes, affects the production of hormones in your body. You need to ensure sound sleep along with using the low testosterone herbal treatment. You can reduce the TV watching hours and use that time for enjoying sound sleep of 7 to 8 hours daily.

    ReplyDelete