Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mission to Seattle

                                                                                                            April 29, 2014
   Seattle was beautiful last Thursday when I flew in during the afternoon.  We landed in sunshine and despite the city's reputation for rain, the sun was shining during my entire visit.  Many thanked me for sharing the California sunshine with them.  I did not argue or demur.
   I had invited myself to the home of the daughter of a close friend.  Linda was two when I first met her, she has just passed her fiftieth birthday.  Her identical twin Lisa, lives on the East Coast.  Both women are successful marketers and consultants. Linda treated me like visiting royalty or a fragile aunt.  Whichever, I enjoyed every moment.
   My mission to Seattle was to participate in two readings.  Last February, Kent State University Press published The Widows' Handbook, a book of poetry and prose written by widows. There were 500 submissions from across the country, 87 made it into print.  I was one of the "lucky" ones.  My tribute to my husband is called Erv's Gift, I went to Seattle to read it to two groups of interested people.  I also read some wonderful poetry written by other "lucky" ones who found their way into the anthology.
   We read to a large group of mostly women at a retirement facility in Seattle.  Some slept, most listened intently as Jacqueline Lapidus, co-editor of our book and Kristine Forbes, native Seattle person who organized our read, joined me.  We took turns and read from our book the poetry and prose written by us and by others. On Saturday we read at the East-West Bookstore, no one slept, it was also a responsive group.  Tears from the woman who lost her husband six years ago; searching questions from the young man who lost his wife 10 months ago, he faces questions from three children.
   In both places folks responded, some with questions and others with tears.  A woman said "Thank you for putting my story into words."  I had a moment during my reading, when I wondered if I could continue, a split second of grief, I took that moment and then continued.  Our audience was appreciative and grateful.  Yes we sold some books.  Sales has never been my strength.
   Linda, so proud of Seattle took me hither and yon to admire the gorgeous flowers, the water, the hills, the neighborhood, the local coffee shop where everybody knows everybody. We went for a ride in a water taxi.  Have not been on the water since my last cruise close to ten years ago! I loved every moment of my time in Seattle, Linda and her partner Susan showed me a wonderful time.  I met a judge who was scrubbing the floor in a Buddhist sanctuary, she and I talked, she treated us to dinner.  I discovered the warmth and friendliness that exists in Seattle.  Each house is different, the streets are lined with a variety of shade trees and blossoms.  I ended my time in Seattle with my nephew and his wife. They came on Sunday morning to take me to breakfast and the airport, no complaints about getting up early on Sunday.
   I took a trip on a plane and I had a wonderful time.
    

        

No comments:

Post a Comment