Tuesday, May 27, 2014


Yanov Torah                                              May 27, 2014

     You all know the story of the Yanov Torah, the survivor of the Nazi work camp in the East European town of Yanov.  Pieces of hidden Torahtot were smuggled into the camp for prayer; at war’s end, the survivors pieced it back to together, cared for it and cherished it, eventually sent it to America.

     Over the years Erv and I have been around the world with it.  More recently, since the death of my Beloved, students from the Hebrew Union College at Los Angeles have enjoyed the responsibility and privilege of carrying the Torah to their congregations to tell and demonstrate this unusual story of survival.

     Recently, Brad Yanover came into the story.  “Yes”, he said, his family, “way back, came from that town of Yanov.”  Whether the town was named for his family or visa versa, he is not sure.  H e wished to reprint a limited amount of copies of the book that Erv and I had written in 1985, they were to be favors for the guests at his daughter’s Bat Mitzvah last April.  In addition, he said he wished to make a documentary of the story and needed to have my permission and willingness to be interviewed. I was interviewed for two hours, I love to tell the story.

     I was excited and eager to participate as best I could.  The Bat Mitzvah was a huge success.  Brad’s daughter Jaden read from the Yanov Torah and there was much excitement in the synagogue in Arizona.  Brad was kind enough to tell me about the day.  Though he seemed to be dragging his feet regarding a documentary, he was not. It is not always easy to fund and implement one's dreams.  In the long run it will be satisfying to know that the Yanov Torah will become an historical treasure for the world; the message of survival of Torah, of Judaism will be set on film for all  to see and appreciate.

     Brad is a successful Producer this is not just a pipe dream.  I was charmed by him and believe him. I have discovered that he is not only charming but also sincere.  I think he cherishes the Yanov Torah with the same fervor that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment