Friday, June 27, 2014


Locked Out!!!                                                                         June 27, 2014 
 
We have lots of things on our minds most of the time: anxiety about a distant child, concerns about the economy, our own health and well-being, our kids welfare in general, how far will the dollar stretch before we ask for help.  I never worried that my child would lock herself out of her house, that her spare key was beyond reach (at my house), that she would need my help even as she knocked on a neighbor’s door to use the phone.

When I received the call on a late Thursday afternoon, I was momentarily lost.  If I drove, no problem; if my twice a week aide were on duty, no problem, if I had a visitor with time on her hands, no problem.  “Mom, can you help me I do not feel close enough to my neighbors to ask for help, but you have friends who are always eager to help you….?”  So, of course I made calls: the first one had an appointment, the second one was not at home, but bingo, a kind, non-judgmental, giving friend was at my door in ten minutes and we reached Judi with the key in fifteen.  She was grateful!  So was I!

There is a lesson in this episode that applies to all of us.  Anyone of us can press that lock button inadvertently and find we are outside without keys when we only meant to empty the trash.  A spare key has to be someplace closer than six miles away.  In my neighborhood, we have extra security and the security has my extra key, a quick call to them would bring immediate help.  In Judi’s case, there is a manager who most likely would keep her spare key.  I am sure her neighbor who once in an emergency fed her animals, would keep her key.


Being friendly and close to neighbors comes more easily to some of us than to others.  Tucking a neighbor’s key in a safe place does not make us bosom buddies, it does  require that we are trusting friends who care about each other’s welfare.


We can always hide the key in a remote place that thieves would never consider.  At the time of need what assurance do we have that we  (seniors) will remember that special place?  Better to trust a friend or, I guess, Mom!

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment